Friday, October 02, 2009

2nd evening of blogfesting

OK, what to blog tonight? - my idea this morning was Flowers in my October garden. I sat on the deck this morning eating my mainstay brekkie, porridge with blueberries and yummy greek style yoghurt plus a cuppa, black and well stewed. There before me were all my current floral emanations, not a thing to be dismissed as I am currently a ghost in my garden when it comes to tending it - I gaze at it all ... then re-fill the cat's water bowls. I did finish weeding all the pots on the deck recently, something I had begun doing only about 3 weeks before. Grouping all the pots into zones on the deck was an improvement but I currently have a pretty sad and seedy collection of things, although the lobelia, self sown, is doing well and the succulents hang in there. Walking around, snapping my flowers did uncover a few unexpected things ... the shot (top right) is of a succulent I brought back in my suitcase on the plane from Melbourne (ooops, should I admit that?) It was a plant that my cousin had grown from a cutting, one that our grandmother had grown - kind of nice to have something growing that was my Grandma's in Melbourne. Two things I treasure that she gave me - the piano sheet music for Sheep may safely graze and the book The Little white horse by Elizabeth Goudge, one of my absolute faves, not only because I loved the story so much as a child but that she gave it to me. So this plant makes three things I have that she loved - kinda nice!
Anyhow, LOOK!!! there are buds on it (they are the long purply things) - first time I've had that happen. How wonderful, I will keep my eye and camera on this.

Other plants I took, just the better shots:





I like the owl looking at the single strawberry flower. The little blue flowers in the grass come up every spring. The orchid is also a first, never before flowered in my garden. And there's the cat's water bowl I regularly fill, beside the self sown lobelia. Not too bad for a wild garden.

I do have to give a nod to  Amy's Ideas Hub and today's theme of Rocktober - coz I have a v.fave song at the moment:



Just adore this, the steely feedbacky (very technical description there) sound of that guitar at the start, that amazing voice of Michael McDonald from Steely Dan and Doobies fame, the great song in itself by Grizzly Bear and their sublime vocals. WOW!!! Haven't felt this immediate zing for a song for a long time - thanks JJJ for throwing this in my direction on the way to work one morning!! Bought the album on the strength of this - a little disappointed this version is only on the b side of the single so will hunt that down, but the album is fab, interesting and quite addictive. This has kickstarted my desire to rekindle my music collection - a bit neglected over the last many years, compared to my obsession with music once upon a time. So, yay! This is a great thing to celebrate on Rocktober day of Blogtoberfest.

P.S. I've gone pink for October - Pink awareness month. It's 10 years last August since my mum died. She would love the idea of a pink month and she would love my post today, celebrating flowers, one of her favourite things. I miss you mum xx

No comments: